Friday 29 January 2010

Into the wild

With my illness conquered, the last week has been one of rest and recuperation. Great for me, but not for the content of my blog.

Monday began with the usual breakfast of yoghurt, granola and bananas, fruit juice, omelette and American pancakes in syrup. This was followed up by some internet activity and the film The Holiday. It was a bit soft but it´s what I needed at that particular moment. Trent and his wife Charlie then invited me to join them and some friends for a pork lunch which was excellent and filled my stomach with joy. The rest of the afternoon was spent chatting with Trent and chums while they drank beer and vodka. I was still on the antibiotics so I had to manage with lollies and fruit juice.

By nightfall I´d been joined by a couple from Sweden and we ventured out for dinner before I rounded the day off with Wedding Crashers.

The next day followed a similar pattern, this time enjoying Lucky Number Slevin in the afternoon and dining out in the evening with a couple of Kiwi fellas and another from Michigan. Not much else happened so I´ll save characters and time and end it there.

Wednesday came and with it, my final day in Samaipata. After three weeks there, this day was long overdue. My cinematic cravings were satisfied by Habana Blues and after a lenghty afternoon nap, I made my way to La Oveja Negra to enjoy some pasta and have some farewell beers with Ben who took me on my Che tour and generally treated me well during my lenghty stay.

Yesterday, after one final epic breakfast and a fond farewell to my adopted parents, Trent and Charlie, I hopped in a taxi with several Bolivians and made the two and a half hour journey back here to Santa Cruz. This place is baking and the humidity is high, so as soon as I could, I found a cafe and sunk a jug of fresh pineapple juice.

Back at the hostel I had a well earned dip in the pool before annihilating the BBQ that they laid on for the guests. Last night was my first night back in a dorm after three weeks of solitary confinement and although some of the other nine occupants weren´t the quietest, I did enjoy a fairly decent sleep.

Today I posted some mail and will upload some pictures from the last month. Tomorrow, I escape this tropical cocoon and escape to Ginger´s Paradise somewhere in the jungle to volunteer for a while. There I hope to learn about organic farming, how to milk a cow and how to make my own beer. Hopefully I´ll be there a good week or so, so luckily you may not hear from me for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment